Netflix, Prime, Sky, Apple, Iplayer shows – What’s worth a watch?

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

not worth watching

Arnold lost all credibility in my opinion for what he said

What did Arnie say in that doc that made you lower your opinion of him? He only spoke briefly and what he said was spot on and true in terms of health. He never denied his past use of meat proteins etc so It confuses me why so many younger guys on forums think like you mate and dismiss Arnie as though as he is some sort of fraud.

darrenG10

darrenG10

What did Arnie say in that doc that made you lower your opinion of him? He only spoke briefly and what he said was spot on and true in terms of health. He never denied his past use of meat proteins etc so It confuses me why so many younger guys on forums think like you mate and dismiss Arnie as though as he is some sort of fraud.
How is meat dangerous if you have perfect functioning kidneys it’s complete rubbish. if we break it down further then nothing is healthy really is it.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

How is meat dangerous if you have perfect functioning kidneys it’s complete rubbish. if we break it down further then nothing is healthy really is it.

I watched gamechangers about 12 months ago mate so I'm sorry if my memory is a bit fuzzy but I don't remember Arnie ever saying anything to indicate meat was dangerous. That documentary is more about health and modern dietary science than it is about competitive bodybuidling but I think too many younger guys didn't take into account that Arnie was about 65 at the time of that interview and his mindset towards health and longevity was different to when he was in his 20s-30s and trying to win Olympia titles and be the best.

You need to put things into perspective mate before trashing a true legend in bodybuilding. You've still got youth on your side and all us "older dogs" have already been where you are at now with the same mentality and passion/drive .....but it doesn't last forever mate and you won't be able to keep pushing it with training/diet/gear and some day in the not too distant future you will start being more interested in your health.

I'd love to be able to still eat half a cow every day, or 10 whole chickens, or a bucket of eggs etc like I was doing in my twenties when I was building the beast but it's not sustainable long term as you get older. The body can't handle it when your metabolism starts to slow down and too much meat does become a health problem for a lot of guys.

This isn't a lecture BTW. Just my opinion based on experience..

darrenG10

darrenG10

it’s run by a vegan producers you can’t say from one day to the next this diet is best

Not saying vegan isn’t healthy plenty nuts plant based foods are great combine them into your diet also absolutely

But

Where is a study of 10-20-30 years of people consuming meat everyday ? there is none

Infact take a bodybuilder on a high protein diet and study him then let’s truly see

Vegan isn’t any better sure we want low saturated fat it doesn’t provide benefits over omega 3 at all from actual long term study’s so I agree no I wouldn’t consume steak daily or other high sat fat foods personally I hate steak anyway lol.

I’ve not watched it In so long so can’t quite remember the thought process of it

And if I wasn’t bodybuilding I wouldn’t be consuming much meat as to be honest it’s not the nicest food carbs are so I’d probably eat a more vegan based diet not for healthy purely as I don’t need the protein content for repair

But I do think more vegan meat will be eating more if food meat prices keep on rising unsure of cost of vegan

Again vegan is healthy sure but meat isn’t unhealthy we all ready know high protein intake dose age cells however or a high calorie surplus ages you quicker seen in rat study but who can live on a fasting diet calorie deficit year round nobody can

But take home message a balanced diet is key fats high omega 3-mono-pufa especially
fibre micros minerals vitamins needed too support us daily and provide the right ratio and again electrolyte balance water intake sodium all vital.

Longevity is purely genetic regardless of diet to living to 100 so many genes in our body to factor 100s. Just muscle bulilding genes alone it’s like 240 genes that play a role

Now sure you’ll prevent things happening quicker with good diet habbits cardio but nothing stops your genes sadly or every fit fanatic would be well into the 100s more often and that isn’t the case until we can remove genes from our body (gene therapy)
and prevent the risk factors slow down the ageing process of cell death then humans will live past 100 age much slower that at age 100 you’ll look mid 30s but that’s not happening in are lifetime

Last edited:
K

Kompany4

Staff member
Brilliant post Daz and your spot on, give me a carb over a slice of meat any day of the week lol

darrenG10

darrenG10

Brilliant post Daz and your spot on, give me a carb over a slice of meat any day of the week lol
Definitely mate I could live on carbs I’m not a massive fan of meat honestly wouldn’t miss it if I couldn’t eat it again lol.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

give me a carb over a slice of meat any day of the week lol

For what reason though? It's just an energy source at the end of the day whether it's simple or complex and it has nothing to do with building or maintaining lean muscle tissue or improving health.

If you were stranded on a desert island divided by 2 tribes and 1 tribe only roasted animals for food every day and the other tribe only ate veg, grains, pulses, berries, and fruit,....are you seriously saying you'd choose the carb tribe lol :)

K

Kompany4

Staff member
For what reason though?
Personal Preference, for example I am more gutted on a Sunday when all my roast potatoes are gone as opposed to the roast beef.

Not on about building muscle or tissue here, I was just pointing out to Darren I prefer carbs to protein any day of the week, just more enjoyable

Although for the record, my biggest physiques have come from higher carbs to proteins too.

darrenG10

darrenG10

definitely carbs are important for all out mass I think once you hit a certain protein intake more causes digestion issues trying too digest tons of meat is tough then you are gassy I think the perfect ratio for most is 300-350 and that’s the upper limit I’ve pushed it only short period 600-700g long time ago but it became impossible to consume that daily and didn’t benefit over just reducing it pushing carbs timing and getting protein in is key but if you aren’t digesting it then the timing is pointless you aren’t benefiting and especially when In a growth phase looking for maximum size carbs will be the best macro choice ingest-used as glycogen liver muscle excess stored as fat. high fat depending on amount stored right away as fat no other process is used with fats protein stored is nitrogen inside muscle burns more calories converts too glucose then stored as body fat

I’n a surplus

carbs can eat more takes longer too be sorted as fat used as muscle liver glycogen body constantly uses as main fuel source and needed for maintaining fullness then extra is stored as fat

Fat purely stored as fat

Protein converted into stored nitrogen body in a constant breakdown and protein synthesis is on extra stored as glycogen burns more calories ingested. Any extra then stored as fat but difficult for the body to store it

So definitely the best route which will lessen fast fat gain during a bulk is protein mod high carb lower fat omega puffa mono fats only low sat fat which is stored right away

also
Certain anabolics improve glycogen synthase too so carbs are key you’ll be more full feel function better way less stress on digestion if choosing ones you digest well like rice products for example cause basically no digestion issues

and who doesn’t want some lovely roast potatoes with gravy over the dry chicken lol give me roasters anyday of the week and some mash 😍

Last edited:
Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Personal Preference, for example I am more gutted on a Sunday when all my roast potatoes are gone as opposed to the roast beef.

Not on about building muscle or tissue here, I was just pointing out to Darren I prefer carbs to protein any day of the week, just more enjoyable

Although for the record, my biggest physiques have come from higher carbs to proteins too.

That's fair enough.
Carbs do add more size to the body than protein, that's true, but I digress.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

What do you mean?

I just meant that if I said anything else I would just be waffling and taking the discussion in other directions.
I was simply very surprised at your preference for carbs over meat but I was looking at it from a basic human survival and health aspect and not from the angle of what macro makes muscles look bigger.
You've said your carb preference is purely personal and for enjoyment so that's fair enough.

K

Kompany4

Staff member
I just meant that if I said anything else I would just be waffling and taking the discussion in other directions.
I was simply very surprised at your preference for carbs over meat but I was looking at it from a basic human survival and health aspect and not from the angle of what macro makes muscles look bigger.
You've said your carb preference is purely personal and for enjoyment so that's fair enough.
Fair enough mate, you did name all the boring carbs though to be fair, where are the chow mein noodles and egg fried rices at lol

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Fair enough mate, you did name all the boring carbs though to be fair, where are the chow mein noodles and egg fried rices at lol

LOL, well yes I would probably find the choice a bit harder if looking at it like that but most days meat/fish proteins would always be my first choice ;)

I've got an unhealthy relationship with carbs at my age though mate because my stomach bloats so quickly even with very small amounts. I tend to stick with higher protein, moderate mono and poly fats, lower carb.

K

Kompany4

Staff member
Not everyone’s cup of tea and not one I would recommend to all but I am a huge Anthony Hopkins fan and wanted to tick it off my watch list of his

“The Father” on Amazon prime about an elderly man living with dementia, not much happens and no real story/plot to it but he does give a tremendous and convincing performance as you would expect from an actor like him

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Not everyone’s cup of tea and not one I would recommend to all but I am a huge Anthony Hopkins fan and wanted to tick it off my watch list of his

“The Father” on Amazon prime about an elderly man living with dementia, not much happens and no real story/plot to it but he does give a tremendous and convincing performance as you would expect from an actor like him

Hopkins is a brilliant actor but I've got enough doom and gloom in my life without needing to watch a film about an old guy with mental health issues so I think I'll swerve this one and give it a miss lol :confused:

K

Kompany4

Staff member
Hopkins is a brilliant actor but I've got enough doom and gloom in my life without needing to watch a film about an old guy with mental health issues so I think I'll swerve this one and give it a miss lol :confused:
Yeah I hear ya mate, very doom and gloom plus it would be a tough watch for anyone who’s experienced that illness close to them but yeh, awesome actor

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Here's a brilliant thriller about a couple of weed dealers with some big name hollywood stars in the cast.

10/10