Why did Chat forums die?

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I've been having this conversation on several other forums for a few months now and not just related to bodybuilding, and covering lots of other lifestyles/subjects, but the same answers keep popping up no matter what the forum is dedicated to.
Yes we all know social media was the ultimate killer but have you ever looked deeper into what the real problems were that caused the demise of forums?

M

MattBBMF

Staff member
I rarely post on forums these days other than here. Get fed up of idiots who think they know it all quoting bro science as fact and I have no time to argue with idiots.

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
I miss the busy forums of the past with loads of posts to read & answer.
So much information was contained on them. Bro science was definitely as issue but there was still a lot of good information.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

The general consensus across most forums is that the sense of belonging to a special online community and respecting other members (teaching and also learning) has been lost now and nobody cares about stuff like that anymore. When forums kicked off the attraction for most people was just being able to chat to like minded members who were into the same things/hobbies as you and most people appreciated having that kind of platform online where they could share opinions and discuss stuff that they couldn't talk about in their real lives and enjoy having some non judgemental online buddies.

Fast forwarding to the future....it's no surprise that chat forums are dying/dead now as they are all basically just battlegrounds for nutters who just want to fight and argue wth each other over any subject they can find to dispute or dislike. It doesn't matter if you're all bbers in a niche sport, or a bunch of keen cyclists in London, or anorak trainspotters in Norfolk, the respect and sense of online community has almost completely disappeared now. On top of that... almost all chat forums now are just driven by money and financial gain by whoever the website owner is so most forums just feel "fake" now and people have lost interest in being active/honest members on sites like that.

darrenG10

darrenG10

Probably guessing most have health issues died etc the early 2000s was a long time ago most from this era Believing post workout sugar and protein 5 minute after a workout is a must and diet on bland tasteless boiled chicken oats is long gone bro thoughts for sure. And full of faceless trolls.

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
I agree FF.
Fortunately the forums I have been involved with through the years have not allowed that type of toxic culture to develop.

K

Kompany4

Staff member
Obviously social media played a massive part and other than this forum and it’s long standing members old and new you will find it quite difficult these days to find a place that isn’t full of trolls, gob shites or just darn right bad attitudes.

Must be a new generation thing and the way the world/society has gone as many years ago when I was a newbie on any forum and I was on many you wouldn’t get flamed for nothing, could even ask “What’s the best tuna to buy?” And there would be none of this Tuna is Tuna shite.
(Just an example, could literally ask anything)

I think the older generation who were the go to guys and the ones we looked up to on there actually enjoyed dishing out their knowledge and advice and kinda taking newbies under their wings.

No question was ever too much or too dumb for them and they had all the time in the world for you even if they had to repeat themselves over and over they never lost their temper.

Now there seems to of just been an influx of bros and know it alls who would rather dish out insults than advice.

The good old days have long gone and that’s why I am still thankful for this community on here.

I hit the forum scene around 2004, I was just a pup then but loved it, I reckon those guys who I am referring to about being on hand for every single question are either way into retirement days now or sadly no longer with us (we probably all know a few)

I do like to think those guys served their time well and set off into the sunset and now munch on whatever they like drinking whatever they like and don’t even look in the mirror.

I don’t have social media for many reason and although this place is quiet I wouldn’t change my platforms for all the gold in China.

I still know that if there is something I am unsure of or need clearing up I can pop it in here and it will be answered at some point and more so respectfully and helpfully.

darrenG10

darrenG10

Obviously social media played a massive part and other than this forum and it’s long standing members old and new you will find it quite difficult these days to find a place that isn’t full of trolls, gob shites or just darn right bad attitudes.

Must be a new generation thing and the way the world/society has gone as many years ago when I was a newbie on any forum and I was on many you wouldn’t get flamed for nothing, could even ask “What’s the best tuna to buy?” And there would be none of this Tuna is Tuna shite.

I think the older generation who were the go to guys and the ones we looked up to on there actually enjoyed dishing out their knowledge and advice and kinda taking newbies under their wings.

No question was ever too much or too dumb for them and they had all the time in the world for you even if they had to repeat themselves over and over they never lost their temper.

Now there seems to of just been an influx of bros and know it alls who would rather dish out insults than advice.

The good old days have long gone and that’s why I am still thankful for this community on here.

I hit the forum scene around 2004, I was just a pup then but loved it, I reckon those guys who I am referring to about being on hand for every single question are either way into retirement days now or sadly no longer with us (we probably all know a few)

I do like to think those guys served their time well and set off into the sunset and now munch on whatever they like drinking whatever they like and don’t even look in the mirror.

I don’t have social media for many reason and although this place is quiet I wouldn’t change my platforms for all the gold in China.

I still know that if there is something I am unsure of or need clearing up I can pop it in here and it will be answered at some point and more so respectfully and helpfully.
What a great post mate

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member

Yea nice one mate, spot on.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

Respect due for that post.
Nuff said.