Anyone else struggle with “Rest days?”

K

Kompany4

Staff member
Obviously I don’t mean if my chest is in bits on a Tuesday and I’m down as rest day Wednesday would I go in and try and do some lifting but does anybody else struggle not to just go and do an hour of, well, anything at all?

I was down as rest day today but I have the bug bug time again today, so went and done some accessory work, some abs and 40 minutes on the stair master.

Just love going and being in and around it all I guess and as long as I’m “resting” what needs to be resting then what’s the problem lol

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I struggle more with actually training/being active than I do with having a rest. I could easily sit down in front of the TV with a movie streaming package and quite literally never stand up again other than to get food or use the toilet lol 😴

Gear is the only thing that keeps me motivated these days. I get no buzz from going to the gym/training but I do still remember the days when I had the passion and drive for lifting.

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
2 rest days a week for me. Wednesday & Saturday. No real issues.
Wednesday I'm generally knackered after training 3 days in a row & Saturday I've always got something on.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

2 rest days a week for me. Wednesday & Saturday. No real issues.
Wednesday I'm generally knackered after training 3 days in a row & Saturday I've always got something on.

You're a similar age to me. How do you keep the motivation going ???

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member
You're a similar age to me. How do you keep the motivation going ???
I've thought about this mate because most of the guys I started training with have long since given up & I'm still hitting it 5 days a week.
I train in a brilliant gym but most of the time im the oldest in the place by at least 10 years.
Some of the comments I get are hard to take, "the old guys in some shape" & "I hope I look as good as you when I get older".

I was really thin when i was younger & I can only put my motivation down to fear of going back to what I was like before.

I do still enjoy it though, which helps.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I've thought about this mate because most of the guys I started training with have long since given up & I'm still hitting it 5 days a week.
I train in a brilliant gym but most of the time im the oldest in the place by at least 10 years.
Some of the comments I get are hard to take, "the old guys in some shape" & "I hope I look as good as you when I get older".

I was really thin when i was younger & I can only put my motivation down to fear of going back to what I was like before.

Keep at it if you still enjoy it mate. My 3 day push/pull/legs is more than enough to keep me in decent size/shape along with all the cycling I do. Sessions never longer than 60 minutes. I think I'll probably quit in the next 5 years though...

K

Kompany4

Staff member

I would take those comments as compliments if anything adz and would drive me on even harder.

I think many of us started out in this game through being skinny/thin growing up, I know I was and got addicted pretty quickly once o started gaining size and shape.

I’ve had a fair few breaks for my age and I often fall into the trap of thinking- oh crap I’m gonna lose it all now and it’s never gonna come back.

I’ve never seen it as a chore or effort either but I’m 35 and been at it on and off (more on) around 17 years solid, becomes a part of your life big time I guess.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I would take those comments as compliments if anything adz and would drive me on even harder.

I think many of us started out in this game through being skinny/thin growing up, I know I was and got addicted pretty quickly once o started gaining size and shape.

I’ve had a fair few breaks for my age and I often fall into the trap of thinking- oh crap I’m gonna lose it all now and it’s never gonna come back.

I’ve never seen it as a chore or effort either but I’m 35 and been at it on and off (more on) around 17 years solid, becomes a part of your life big time I guess.

Cool post.
I'm tempted to take the piss about a few comments mate as part of our ongoing banter....but at my age I know where to draw the line ;)

Animalchin

Animalchin

I'm trying to get back to the gym, got going beginning of year then end up with a viral infection which knocked the fuck out of me, I'm 47 now ten year ago I was in canny good shape, nowcI resemble a middle aged lesbian who never lifted a weight in her life.

Functional Fitness

Functional Fitness

I'm trying to get back to the gym, got going beginning of year then end up with a viral infection which knocked the fuck out of me, I'm 47 now ten year ago I was in canny good shape, nowcI resemble a middle aged lesbian who never lifted a weight in her life.

Personally speaking, I fully respect for you being honest and not talking shit trying to look like a bit shot/hero on a bbing forum (y)
I'd much rather talk to real guys who have been there and actually done it than talk to arrogant young pricks who are trying to "get there" and learn what we already know...

ADAM1

ADAM1

Staff member

That's the way I feel about mate, its been part of me for so long I can't foresee a time when I would willingly give up training.